1. No matter where you live or where you’re traveling to, Google “free things to do in ...” (whatever city you’re in). You’d be amazed at how many free things are available in your area.
2. Ice skating at the Olympic Ice Oval. It’s less than $7 a person and that includes skate rental.
3. Downtown Salt Lake City Concert Series. The concerts are free and you can either bring a picnic or get dessert afterwards.
4. Go to a bookstore and each pick 3 books that represent yourselves. They may not even be books you’ve read. Find a place to sit down and discuss why each of you chose those books to represent yourselves. Most bookstores have a café if you would like to have something drink or nibble on.
5. Geocaching is a creative way to go on a hike. All you need is a GPS. Visit www.geocaching.com to find a hike that has a treasure in your area.
6. Go to the driving range and hit a bucket of golf balls. It’s a great way to relieve stress and just have fun. You don’t have to be good at golf to do it.
7. Batting cages.
8. Take a trip to the library.
9. Dollar movie theater.
10. Try a new recipe together.
11. Take a cooking class together.
12. Attend a cultural festival or museum.
13. Go for a walk or bike ride to a place you haven't been before.
14. Go to a park and read a book together.
15. Make goodies for a neighbor or someone who needs cheering up.
16. Volunteer at a soup kitchen together to feed the homeless.
17. Visit a retirement home together. You can play games with the residents, perform a talent, or just plain old talk to people. They love company!
18. Play cards or other board games.
19. Fly kites.
20. Snow shoe during the winter and have hot chocolate later.
21. Go on a hike and take creative pictures of a certain theme or topic.
22. Hot tubbing.
23. Take a class together. Often times the Park and Recreation centers will offer classes in dance, guitar, pottery, etc.
24. Go on a double date and do a photo scavenger hunt.
25. If it’s your birthday month there are several restaurants that will give you free meals or discounts if you sign up to be on their email list. Check this out! In Salt Lake City, Benihana will give you a $30 gift certificate, Happy Sumo $15, Market Street Grill up to $25 off (2 for 1), and Texas Roadhouse a free appetizer. I’m sure there are more. Just visit the websites of your favorite restaurants.
Heather Severn, LMFT